Tuesday 30 April 2013

Hair Diary: My Hair-y Story

We can be so harsh!





  ... To our hair :)

We like to be different (yet the same with any beauty guru/blogger/celebrity... haha!) and try out many different hairstyles- straight perm, curly perm, hair dyes.  The great cycle of chemicals!

I thought that when I get my hair done, I just needed a very good conditioner to magically restore my hair and gave little thought to the shampoo.  So, my hair became brittle and would often shed.  Although I would try to counter the damage with very good conditioners and oils, which would help a bit, my hair was still very dry and dull. :(

I have never really thought that part of the problem was my shampoo until my Pastor (bless her wisdom!) informed me about sulfate-free shampoo.  She said that oftentimes the shampoos that we use have sulfate and are so harsh- like washing your hair with dish soap.  I never  noticed this until I bought sulfate-free shampoo and tried it out for myself.

Sulfate-free, paraben-free, salt-free, and vegan!  ^_^
(not my photo)

So far, I've tried L'oreal Paris EverCurl Shampoo (not the entire system).  And the difference is phenomenal!  When I used sulfate shampoo before, it really felt harsh and hard on my hair.  But the sulfate-free shampoo made my hair so soft, even in the shower.  Also, with the sulfate shampoo, I would get major build-up, making my hair very gunky after a day without washing (and I kept blaming it on Guam's hot weather).  Now, with the sulfate-free shampoo, my hair does not have build-up and I don't have to keep on washing my hair and scalp everyday, which can dry them out.

The only downside is that sulfate-free shampoos are pricier.  For example, this one was nearly $10 for 8.5 fl. oz.  However, like with any "bang for your buck" products, you get 75% of junk and 25% of the what you really want/need.  Therefore, I think investing in a sulfate-free shampoo is really worth the money!

(not my photo)

For the conditioner, I use L'oreal Paris Total Repair 5 Restoring Conditioner.  It's less expensive than the EverCurl line- for $6.49 at K-Mart- and so far, so good.

So, don't only slather healthy, organic things on your face.  Hair needs some of that lovin' too. ^^


Image:


No comments:

Post a Comment