Tuesday 3 April 2012

Where You Go, I Go!


When God takes us aside and gives us His word, different emotions can surge through us, but we'll never be without a reaction.  It can range from hesitance, resistance, and obedience.  

When Moses first encountered God, and God appointed him to go before pharaoh and to lead the Israelites out of slavery, Moses protested, "Who am I...?" (Exodus 3:11)  

There are many times, when our initial response to God is to voice out our inadequacy.  "Lord, who am I...?"  Then we fill those three dots with our own protests.  In my case, many times I have felt, "Lord, who am I?  I live on such a small island!  I am too young and I am a chicken!  I don't know how I am going to do that!"  When we get to the root of it all, often these are cries that we are not good enough.

Funnily, I think God already knew all of our limitations before we even mention them!  But, that doesn't stop our Lord from calling, appointing, persisting.  And, what He already knows, which we later realize, is that it is not about us, it is about Him, that His plans would be accomplished and He has the ability to accomplish them.  Why He chooses to partner with us in the first place is a whole different topic of discussion, which I will not address here. :) 


"And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet" (Exodus 7:1).  
In response to Moses' questions, God reassures him that He has taken care of all concerns, down to the very detail.  Pharaoh was a deity in ancient Egypt, and who would he listen to but to another deity?  Hence, God appoints Moses to be like a god to Pharaoh because of the great and mighty things that God will do through him.  And we know how that story ends, yah?

Similarly, with our present circumstances, God will call us out of our comfort zones- to go to places, say things, and do things that we've never imagined we'd experience.  Similarly to Moses, we may respond to God by first asking Him who are we to do such things?

However, in whatever we are tasked to do, be it if we were prominent athletes, talented musicians, missionaries who go out to every corner of the world, or even students or schoolteachers (^__^), He will use us to effectively witness to the world that HE is powerful, that HE is good, and that HE is life.  And for us He appointed, He is with us "even unto the end of the world" (Matthew 28:20).

Yet, yes, oppositions will come and hard hearts will form, but God's will will still be done: "...[I] will multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt... And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children of Israel from among them" (Exodus 7:3b, 5). 


For Him, who persistently calls us to do His good and perfect will, may we respond in the words of the prophet Isaiah, "Here am I; send me!"  With what I've missed in prose, I will leave you with these thoughts in the form of a song by Kim Walker and Jesus Culture:


Works Cited:
All Scripture taken from the King James Version (KJV) from www.biblegateway.com.

Images:

No comments:

Post a Comment