Monday 8 October 2012

Trust in the Lord

"Now on whom do you trust?"
Isaiah 36:5 (NJKV)

I trust in a triune God.

I trust the Father, believing that he has chosen me from before the foundations of the world; I trust him to provide for me in providence, to teach me, to guide me, to correct me if need be, and to bring me home to his own house where the many mansions are.

I trust the Son.  Very God of very God is he- the man Christ Jesus.  I trust in him to take away all my sins by his own sacrifice, and to adorn me with his perfect righteousness.  I trust him to be my Intercessor, to present my prayers and desires before his Father's throne, and I trust him to be my Advocate at the last great day, to plead my cause, and to justify me.  I trust him for what he is, for what he has done, and for what he has promised yet to do.

And I trust the Holy Spirit- he has begun to save me from my inbred sins; I trust him to drive them all out; I trust him to curb my temper, to subdue my will, to enlighten my understanding, to check my passions, to comfort my despondency, to help my weakness, to illuminate my darkness; I trust him to dwell in me as my life, to reign in me as my King, to sanctify me wholly, spirit, soul, and body, and then to take me up to dwell with the saints in light for ever."

Text:
Spurgeon, Charles.  Morning and Evening. Biblia.com. With the Logos iPhone Bible app. 8 Oct. 2012 

Image:
Eagle


Reflection and Application

In whom have I placed my trust for my sanctification?  The point that makes the most impact on me at this time is the last paragraph about the Holy Spirit.

God in Spirit dwelling in me, yet how many times have I trusted in my own strength for my sanctification?  By adhering to Christian disciplines and obedience to the Commandments?  These can never be enough and they have me feeling insufficient and unable to measure up to the perfect standards of my Lord.  But why is this?  Because I was not created to be the fulfillment of my own being; because I was not created to be the constant Redeemer of my heart; because I was not created to keep on drawing sustenance from the cistern of my own strength.  Because the Holy Spirit is the only one who can fill me and make me whole; because He is the only one who can refine me in my temper, will, understanding, passions, despondency, weakness, and darkness; because He is the only living water that can keep on refreshing, healing, and sustaining me.

Through the Lord's grace, Jesus pronounced, "It is finished!"  It is all Him and never my own efforts.  "It is finished!"  So, I can stop fretting about my righteousness because it rests on Him, so I can rest in Him.  My trust is in Him.

"But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
    They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
    They will walk and not faint."  

Isaiah 40:31 (NLT)

Amen! 

Scripture taken from the New King James Version (NJKV) and the New Living Translation (NLT) from biblegateway.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment