Saturday 21 January 2012

Gracious Driving


What kind of a driver are you?

Oftentimes, when I am on the road on Guam, it turns out to be one of the most stressful parts of my day.  I believe many Guamanians can testify about this.  Not signaling, awful road conditions, Sunday driving on a busy Friday >.<  The list can go on and on and on!

My sister, ma, and I were running errands on this sopping rainy day.  On one event, my sister signaled in order to be able to make a turn to the vet's.  Then, guess what?  The big plumbing van's driver wouldn't give way however and only kept on accelerating.  We'd let him go on ahead of us, but he insisted on staying on our blindside and we needed to access the lane he's in or we'd miss our turn.  So, when my sister finally did go on ahead to his lane, he gave us a big and rude honk :(

I am not preaching without needing the message myself.  I am neither the most gracious driver.  Actually, not too long ago and which I am still working on, I've been a grumpy driver, hated to give way, and would honk at those slowpokes who cut in front of me.  ///-.-/// (shame, shame)

What has been dawning on me more and more is that we should see those with us on the road as people not just cars or machines.  Before we become so frustrated with others and show our anger (all of which happen so quickly while driving), we ought to remember that these people have jobs they need to get to, family to come home to, and personalities that need a little more grace for that day.

Certainly it is something that I need to really instill in my mind and heart more...  Yes, yes... no matter who we are, we really are in need of a Savior, even in the way we drive. :)

"Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near." Philippians 4:5


Images:
"Road Rage Taking Over Drivers". NewzGlobe.com.  http://www.newzglobe.com/article/20120115/road-rage-taking-over-drive.
"Daisies." FreeExtras.com. http://free-extras.com/images/daisies-10333.htm.


No comments:

Post a Comment